Christianity is not a religion, it is a revelation about who Jesus is. What makes Christianity so distinct from any other religion is that Jesus didn’t just die, but He is alive today and desires to guide our lives still.
The contrasting examples of David and Saul in the Bible, help to highlight practical truths about hearing the voice of God (1 Chronicles 10:13, 1 Samuel 30:6).
How to Discern the Voice of God
- If you are more desperate for a Word from God than you are devoted to God, you will lose discernment and fall into deception. Saul’s first problem was his desperation for a Word at the expense of his devotion to God. When Saul went to the witch, he got a word but not a solution (1 Samuel 28).
God wants to communicate with you in your community. The problem in Saul’s case wasn’t the lack of the gift in his community, it was the lack of character in Saul.
- A relationship with the Holy Spirit is more important than a revelation from the Holy Spirit. Make sure you don’t ask God for a Word before you have asked God for His presence.
David responded to trouble by going to the Lord, not to ask what he should do but to get strength. Then from a place of strength, he asked God for direction on what to do.
Saul facing similar, dangerous, situations asked the Lord what he should do and heard nothing.
Until you seek first God’s presence, you cannot receive from the Holy Spirit. Go to God to be filled with Him before you go to God to be led by Him.God wants to be your source of strength before He is your resource for a solution. Click To Tweet
- When we are filled with God’s Word, we will become familiar with God’s voice.
Part of Saul’s unfaithfulness was that he did not keep the Word of the Lord. God had given Saul His Word but Saul did not honor it, dwell in it, study it, or obey it.
The Bible says, “My sheep hear My voice” (John 10:27). Learn the Words of God and it will become easier to distinguish when He is speaking throughout the day.
- If you can’t hear God’s voice today, it’s because you did not heed to His voice yesterday.
When God spoke to Saul in the past, he did not do what God had commanded.When God speaks and you don’t obey, the next time you will hear Him more quietly. Click To Tweet
It is like you are lowering the volume with each disobedience, but you unmute when you repent.
Read: Biblical Meditation
Stay Close To God
If you are in a season of silence, don’t get discouraged. Stay close to God and remember what the teacher said before they stopped speaking.
Remember God’s promises, who He is, and what He has done in your life. This season will soon be over.
God will speak again and God will breakthrough in your life in Jesus’ name.
If this blog post was a blessing to you, please share it and let me know what you think!
Sign up for email blog updates!
Read More Here:
- 4 Ways To Start Hearing God
- 7 Steps To Deepen Your Prayer Life
- How Spiritual Warfare Works
- How To Spot A Demon – 14 Signs
- Haunted House? 5 Steps to Cleanse It
- Why You Should Practice All Night Prayers?